Thursday 12 September 2013

Life: Summer TV Favourites

Let's start this post of by stating the obvious....My name is Katie and I'm a telly addict! I have always been a massive TV and film watcher. Even as a small child, back when there was no scaremongering about putting small children in front of screens, I used to get up super early and watch a good few hours of TV before my Mum woke up.

Then Saturday night always involved a trip to the video shop (retro!) and I would watch my film, usually something with Care Bears, My Little Pony or the Thriller music video, that evening and again the next morning.

Now that we have set the scene you will understand my current dilemma. Summer is an awful time for TV! Come September/October I usually have over 15 shows on the go at any one time. I will do a separate post on my favourite Autumn/Fall TV shows but for now I wanted to give some love to the shows that have been getting me through the TV wasteland that is the Summer.

Under The Dome

Under The Dome
Image via BBC.co.uk

This Stephen King adaptation is coming to Channel 5 in the UK in the coming weeks. I have been watching this via CBS and I am already hooked after under 10 episodes.

The premise is that a mysterious and impervious dome falls from the sky, covering the once sleepy town of Chster's Mill. Most of the town and some visitors are stuck inside the dome and some of the towns' residents are stuck outside of it.

There are several dodgy and mysterious characters and gradually, episode by episode, we as the viewers start to get more details about the dome, its effects on the people under it and where it might have come from.

I can see this one continuing for a good few series/seasons and I will be right there with it!

Perception


Image via: TNT.com

Perception is now in its second season and it shown on TNT in the US. It stars Will & Grace favourite Eric McCormack and 90's teen movie leading lady, Rachael Leigh Cook along with a host of other stars from previous hit shows.

This show focusses on McCormack's character, Dr Daniel Pearce, who is a renowned neuroscience professor who helps former student Rachael Leigh Cook with her complicated FBI cases.

This ticks two of the boxes that I often look for in an easy to watch TV show; procedural, in that it follows the same format from week to week, and crime-based. I love me a crime-based TV show!

King & Maxwell



Image via: MoviePilot.de

King & Maxwell is another TNT drama, but this one is also in its first season. This show stars Rebecca Romjin and John Tenney as two former Secret Service agents who now work as private detectives in Washington DC.

The supporting cast in this show is great, with the quirky genius assistant and the cantankerous FBI agent, they take on cases the authorities wouldn't and often end up in some scrapes.

Again, this is easy watching and the sub-plot isn't too taxing I.e. as a viewer you don't have to remember loads of detail to keep up with what's going on.

Rizzoli & Isles


Image via: ferver-records.com

Last but by no means least is Rizzoli and Isles. Now in its fourth season and starring two recognisable faces, this is another crime-based procedural. The main attraction for this show for me is the friendship between the two main characters. They are both the best in their fields and have a friendship that most of us would 'kill for' (sorry!).

Again the supporting cast is great and the various sub-plots throughout the four seasons have been meaty enough to keep the viewer entertained.

What have you been watching this Summer?

Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...