Monday 26 August 2013

Haul: Boots August 2013


Barry M Gelly Hi Shine Nail Effects in Papaya

This is the second of these gel-style polishes from Barry M that I have picked up. I rushed out to buy Lychee when they first came out like everyone else but, whilst I was having a browse the other day, I noticed they had a few new colours.

Papaya seemed like a quite unique muted orange. Previously I’ve steered away from all things orange-toned as I worry they will clash with my hair but I really like this colour. A bit different to the traditional coral, I can’t wait to try this one out on my nails.I have heard that the darker colours in this line stain the nails so I’ll make sure I used a good base coat.

Barry M Sequin Nail Effects in White

This was a complete impulse purchase but I couldn’t leave it on the stand. I have been eyeing up a really similar version from Revlon for ages and this was at least half the price. I’m not sure how this will translate on the nails as, quite often, you need to slap on a good few coats to get a decent amount of the glitter to transfer.

I quite like the idea of this toning down some of the brighter colours I have with its milky, white base. It might be one of my last forays into glitter polish due to my advancing age. Can a 30 year old still wear glitter nail polish??


I couldn’t resist trying this one as soon as I got it. I’ve been wearing a slick of black eyeliner with a flick almost every day for the last 12 or so years and I’m a big fan of these pen-style liners.

I love the really fine nib as it makes getting a precise flick so much easier. I wasn’t however too impressed with the colour pay-off of this. It’s not as black or opaque as many others I’ve tried but the staying power is good. It claims to be waterproof, which I haven’t tested but it definitely passes the inner corner smudge test, which may other pen liners don’t.


After seeing these new lip crayons on Lily’s blog I immediately added them to my list. Originally I was planning to get Peach on the Beach but when I saw Red Sunrise I couldn’t resist it.

This is different from the other lip crayons I’ve tried in that the colour you get when you first apply it is really close to the colour you’re left with after a few hours. I wouldn’t call them stains but they do leave a nice, subtle colour behind if you’re lazy like me and only remember to apply lip colour in the morning.

This is the perfect lazy red colour. It gives great colour pay-off but you don’t need to be too precise with your application (sorry lip pencil!) I find this perfect for work.


This was a slightly older purchase but I thought I’d add it in here anyway. I have barely had this off my nails since I bought it and LOVE the colour!

The application is the best of any nail polish I have ever tried. The brush is wide enough to coat the whole nail (apart from the thumb) and you can get away with just one coat, although I often do two just for staying power. This coupled with my Seche Vite top coat are a dream combination and have definitely been my Summer nails of choice this year.

Have you tried any of these beauties?

Katie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...